Website McGill University
There are 2 open positions for this role in the Faculty of Science. If the link does not work, it is because the application deadline has passed or the position has been filled.
HR Contact: email@example.com , kindly contact them if you have any questions regarding the position.
Department of Physics – CHIME
1 -year contract position with a possibility of an extension
About the Team
The CHIME/FRB team contains approximately fifty scientists supported by a small and agile software development team. The development team are responsible for the full-stack implementation of real-time and offline scientific analysis in Python. Data analysis is performed within an orchestrated (Apache Airflow, Custom queues) container environment (Docker, Swarm) with results stored in databases (MariaDB and MongoDB) and visualized on self-hosted and cloud websites (Google APP Engine). Software is continuously integrated and tested using GitHub Actions.
The Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME) is a research telescope that is operated by McGill University in partnership with University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, Perimeter Institute, and the National Research Council (https://chime-experiment.ca). The CHIME Fast Radio Burst Team (CHIME/FRB) have revolutionized the view of the sky producing the first unique map of the extra-galactic transient sky. The CHIME/FRB Team operate a real-time compute cluster of over 2,500 CPU cores that searches through 1.5 Petabytes of data per day and delivers real time and archival astrophysical data to the team and astronomers around the world.
The CHIME/FRB Team is also currently building and commissioning a new state-of-the-art system to search for new radio pulsars (CHIME/SPS).
The candidate is expected to contribute to the continued success of the CHIME/FRB and CHIME/SPS Projects via the development of relevant software and data processing tools, mainly based in python and RESTful HTTP APIs. People with full stack and/or backend python-based programming are encouraged to apply. Prospective candidates are encouraged to contact the CHIME/FRB Technical Lead and Software Developer (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional information on the position and on the CHIME/FRB and CHIME/SPS projects.
- Code, test, deploy and troubleshoot hardware and software systems.
- Participate in establishing hardware and software requirements that will allow the research projects to run smoothly for at least five years.
- Provide professional expertise and advice to researchers and staff on hardware, software, and systems.
- Ensure coding standards are met, develop testing frameworks and code reviews.
- Consult with researchers to develop effective web-based infrastructure to support the team and the extended research community.
- Deploy, maintain, monitor, and update a variety of web-based tools, platforms, services, and software lifecycle mechanisms.
- Develop documentation related to a variety of new systems, platforms, and procedures.
- Deploy, maintain, and develop security procedures, incident management and resolution.
- Research, evaluate, propose, implement modern technologies to best fit project requirements.
- Organize software sprint planning, execution, review, and documentation.
- Provide training to new and existing team members on software as it pertains to the various projects.
Qualifying Skill and/or Abilities
We are looking for a back-end software developer who can manage interdependent project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables and has experience developing modern services using RESTful APIs in Python.
Technical experience is required in:
- Backend development, preferably in Python.
- Modern database technologies, especially SQL and NoSQL
- Building services with RESTful HTTP APIs (Application Programming Interfaces).
- Good understanding of Git, Docker, and Continuous Integration.
- Developing in an agile, remote-first environment.
Nice to have / Willing to acquire:
- Experience using Linux.
- Familiarity with data analysis in Python.
- Web Frameworks: Django, Vue or React.
- Distributed backends or microservices architecture.
- Experience with custom deployments to private and public cloud infrastructure.
About the Team
The CHIME/FRB/SPS team contains approximately fifty scientists supported by a small and agile software development team. The development team is responsible for the full-stack implementation of real-time and offline scientific analysis in Python. Data analysis is performed within an orchestrated (Apache Airflow, Custom queues) container environment (Docker, Swarm) with results stored in databases (MariaDB and MongoDB) and visualized on self-hosted and cloud websites (Google APP Engine). Software is continuously integrated and tested using GitHub Actions.
The CHIME/FRB Team are committed to an inclusive and flexible workplace. We encourage applications from qualified applicants of all sexual orientations and gender expressions, racialized people, Indigenous peoples, and persons with disabilities. This position is open to international applicants. Candidates do not need an existing work permit in Canada to be considered for the role.
Minimum Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree 3 Years Related Experience /
Annual Salary: (MPEX Grade 04) $58,470.00 – $73,090.00 – $87,710.00
Hours per Week: 33.75 (Full time)
Position End Date (If applicable): 2023-06-30
Deadline to Apply: 2022-06-30
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit mcgill.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.