Website McGill University
If the link does not work, it is because the application deadline has passed or the position has been filled.
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit’s operations. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Administers unit accounts. Assists in the organization of unit activities. Responsible for documents and files of the unit. Maintains computerized information systems.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding the unit’s policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Recommends procedural changes to enable unit to function more effectively. Collaborates with supervisor and others in establishing work priorities. Follows up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Takes notes and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos. Signs certain documents.
- Participates in activities related to student affairs such as admission, pre-registration, registration, financial aid and international student-related issues. Keeps track of enrolments, course changes, reporting student standings loans, bursaries and scholarship awards. Refers problems outside of area of expertise to appropriate resource persons or official.
- Provides information to callers and visitors. Determines reason for call or visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
- Screens and sorts mail. Prepares files attaching appropriate supporting documentation and researching information as required. Responds to requests within area of responsibility. Notes required actions and ensures follow-up.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Uses a variety of software. Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their development to improve efficiency within the unit. Acts as a resource person concerning the use of software. Explains and demonstrates the use of software, resolves problems within area of expertise, and liaises with computer resource persons as required. Maintains and updates administrative files. Maintains filing systems and arranges for archiving.
- The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Proven committee work experience, taking and transcribing minutes (both formal and informal). Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to multi-task. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and to meet weekly and monthly deadlines. Demonstrated ability to work in a computerized environment using word processing software, spreadsheets, databases and presentation software. Demonstrated ability to use McGill systems such as Banner, Minerva and D2. Demonstrated ability to work independently and report on results. Excellent attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to clearly transmit and receive information both verbally and in writing. Must be client focused and service oriented. Excellent communications skills in English and French, spoken and written.
Minimum Education and Experience: DEP – Office Systems 4 Years Related Experience / DEP – Secretarial Studies
Hourly Salary: (MUNACA Level 09J) $23.17 – $31.97
Hours per Week: 33.75 (Full time)
Supervisor: Manager Academic Programs
Deadline to Apply: 2022-07-31
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit mcgill.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.